Distressed Shabby Chic Architectural Wall Decor

One of my clients found a beautiful, old and quite heavy piece of decorative architecture.  I am guessing it was part of an outdoor element in which there are 3 removable rings, presumably to hold vases or jars. 

     



She asked if I could update the piece to fit with her contemporary, shabby chic dining area.  She liked the darker iron pieces in the middle, but wanted to do something to the wood.











The wood appeared very dry and in need of a good cleaning.  So after it was properly washed, I began to treat the old brown wood with whites, grays and distressed edges.




I added golden shimmer to the iron sun-like shape under the arch.

  


The rest of the iron piece got an update, too.  I treated the leaves to cheerier shades of green and enhanced their glossiness (is that a word?).  

     

For subtle shades of color, I painted small areas of red rust throughout... and of course, a little bit of gold shimmer.



I finished the piece with protective layers of sealer.  We were both pleased with the final result.



























Comments