Octagonal Game Table


I found this adorable vintage octagonal table for sale, and knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.  The shape gave me the idea of making this into a chess or checkers game table.




Off to work I went.  







I painted the legs with a happy ocean blue, in which I blended from a subtle light blue, down into a deeper shade:


I blended light and medium ocean shades into the sides:


The drawers got a special applique on the exterior, and a soft fabric lining on the interior to protect the game pieces.



And, then the fun began... I say that sarcastically.  


After I blended the table top with shades of teal, I began searching the best way to paint a centered checkerboard.  I printed out a sample checkerboard, marked every other square for my visual reference, and taped it to the table top.  Since I could see where the lines would be, I could mark the table... simple, right?


After I removed the paper, I could see where to add the painters tape - so I could paint straight, crisp lines without ruining the base coats.  


Oh how proud was I?  It was centered... it was measured... it would be professional!  

All was going well, until...

I took off the tape.  


That is when I remembered the one area on which I forgot to prime was the top.  But, not to worry, I thought.  Chalk paints pride themselves in not requiring primer - no biggie.  


However, this was not the time I wanted to learn that - not all chalk paints are the same.  The white chalk base coats - whose commercial name I shall not speak, nor shall I use, nor shall I buy again - began to peel away with the tape.  


It was NOT a pretty sight, though arrangements of flowery language were landing everywhere.  



By the time I lifted the last piece of tape, the table top was a mix of blue squares and a mess of wood and white chipped paint.  I wish I had evidence of it... I guess forgetting to take that picture was...

rook-y mistake.

So, the following knight, I put on my big girl pants, and began sanding down the table top to start from scratch.  This time, I primed that baby down.  

A fresh day gave me new perspective and what I think, a nicer top.  I worked more on shading the sides with teal and light gray.  

Sometimes mistakes are doors to better outcomes.  


Fast forward a few hours... here is the top, finally:




I distressed the edges with a light gold paint treatment, fit for a castle.




And there she is.


Chess Anyone?


You might ask... How can I purchase this piece??

How else??
Check, Mate



😜 What else were you expecting?  😉













Comments